Friday, February 10, 2017

New Additions: January 2017


Here we are 10 days into a new month and I'm just now getting around to sharing the items I picked up last month. Man I long for the days I was a kid with less responsibility! January was a pretty good month, in fact I ended up with more new games than I thought I would. Part of this is due to having a little Christmas money to spend and finding some good deals / clearances.

The month didn't bring a lot of new items, but it did bring me some variety and another new console. Before Christmas I had purchased what I thought was a Japanese Slim PS2. It was from the NTSC-J region, but in fact was a Chinese PS2. It would play bootleg games (the seller included several) and it would play NTSC-U games, both PS1 and PS2...however that's not why I bought it. I wanted to branch out and try some of the shooters and other games that never made it outside Japan for the PS2. Long story short, I got eBay to make the seller accept my return, got a full refund and ended finding a seller in Japan that had that beautiful translucent blue PS2 you see. Now just need to pick up a vertical stand and I'm good to go. Since it won't receive as much play as my normal PS2, I think I'm just going to move the power and component cables back and forth between the two PS2s. After all, I only have so many inputs on my TV and power outlets at my disposal!


The seller I got the PS2 from threw in these two games. I know one of them is Ape Escape 2...or at least I think it is. The other is a wrestling game...I think it's called Online Pro Wrestling: Champion of the Network. I found find a listing for it in RFGeneration's database. Looking forward to giving both a try.


I know, I know. This 3D updated version of Altered Beast is supposed to be a giant turd...but I couldn't help but to try it out. Plus Stefano Bruni on Facebook hooked me up w/ the game at a very sweet price. If nothing else, at least the cover art looks pretty awesome!

 

With the Nintendo Switch on the way, I've been trying to pick up whatever Wii U games I could that looked decent. While traveling for work I found both of these used copies at GameStop and while I loath that retailer on many levels, I can't turn away a good deal. The Monster Hunter franchise has always been one I wanted to try out. Tank! Tank! Tank! I played in the arcade w/ my family and it was a lot of fun. Looking forward to spending time with both.


I'm very late to the Super Smash Bros. game. My kids actually found this at Best Buy. It was the only used Wii U game they had. Price was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I had a coupon and they wanted me to buy this over a few Amiibos. I'm sad to say that my 5 year old daughter is better at this game than I am!


I honestly don't know much about the Arslan game, but being from Koei/Tecmo and judging from the screen shots on the back it looked like a decent Dynasty Warriors type game. Doom finally dropped in price to $20 so I jumped on a new copy. Haven't played Doom in a very long time, but what I've played so far I've really enjoyed.


Clearance for $9.99. Even though I own the GameCube version, why not at that price?


I owned Splatterhouse once before and ended up trading it away due to the brutal unfairness of the game. Recently found it at GameStop for $3.99 and I couldn't just leave it sitting there. I hope my re-visit of the game goes better than the first time around.


I don't buy a lot of Reproductions, but Peter Tuttle of Onslaught Reproductions has been turning out some nice Genesis games so I took advantage of a sale around Christmas and picked up the Punisher. Love beat 'em ups and this game just continues to esculate in price...so much that why even bother? Plus Peter provided new art and a nifty white shell to boot!


Last, but not least is Soldner X2 for the PS Vita. I initially forgot to include this in the group shot. Grabbed this from PlayAsia.com for a great price. I've got some more travel up ahead for work so I'm planning on taking this along for the ride.

Overall it was another great month for game acquisitions. During all of the craziness that was January, I was also able to secure my Nintendo Switch pre-order at Best Buy. I think I got one of the last pre-orders as I ordered it the morning after the late night presentation by Nintendo. Fingers crossed my order doesn't get cancelled like GameStop, Target and Walmart have been recently doing. Well, that's it for this post. The weekend is here and I've got some games to play!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got your ps2 issue resolved! Lots of great ntsc-j games to try. Be warned, some prices rival the saturn's library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've noticed some of the prices are up there. I hate I missed out on a great deal for Triggerhear Exelica the other day. Right now I'm sticking with some of the Simple 2000 volumes and Sega Ages titles.

      Delete