Saturday, February 10, 2018

New Acquisitions: January 2018

The pick ups for January were pretty slim. Coming off of Christmas I just didn't feel the need to go and search out deals or hit the local stores. That said I made two purchases, one online and one in store.



While I like the concept of what Limited Run Games does, I really haven't felt the need or had the desire to sit in front of my computer and keep hitting refresh, waiting for games to be made available for sale. Most know that Limited Run sells through their allotment for each game pretty quickly, so if you aren't on your toes you'll miss out.

When I got the email that Double Dragon IV and River City Ransom were being made available, for the first time I put the 10 AM Friday sale in my phone's calendar. I skipped the more expensive collector's editions and went straight for the cheaper, regular editions. I still have yet to crack them open so I can't comment on the games themselves (I don't usually download many digital games), but now that football is over I should have some more free time Sunday afternoons and these were be some of the first games I try.


Being a comic book fan as well, I was intrigued when I heard that Battle Chasers was being made into a video game. I originally was going to buy the Switch version of the game, then the reviews came out and they weren't all that favorable. I guess what I read was true as Target clearanced out both the PS4 and Xbox One versions pretty quickly. Both versions were $9.98. I usually buy multi-platform games on the PS4 since I have a bigger HD, but the only PS4 version they had the disc was rattling around inside the case. Despite the lackluster reviews, I still look forward to sitting down with this game and seeing if I agree or disagree with the critics.

That's it, just 3 new games for the month of January. Since we're already a little over a week into February, I can say that the next New Acquisitions post will have more content. I've already made a pretty big purchase for the game room so make sure you come back in a few weeks. Until then, game on!

3 comments:

  1. Never heard of Limited Run Games. Big fan of Double Dragon and River City Ranson back in the day. Both of these games sound pretty awesome. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about the Double Dragon 4, and then whoosh, it was gone. I didn't even know about River City Ransom. I have a slight problem with the concept of limited run games. Why not take pre-orders, and make those plus some extra? The idea of "come get them or they'll be gone" rubs me the wrong way. I understand they need to make a living, but come on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not all that crazy about their business practices either, but I'm thankful they are putting digital games onto disc. The good thing I guess is they hold back so much inventory of each title for various reasons and sell it off at different times throughout the year.

      Delete