Tuesday, April 11, 2017

New Acquisitions: March 2017

It's been a busy past two months. You may have noticed (or not) that I didn't have a New Additions post for February. Part of the reason is that I didn't buy much due to saving up for the launch of the Nintendo Switch on March 3rd. However I've got two months now to play catch up and show what I picked up so here we go.


Obviously the pick ups are a little lighter than normal due to cost of the Switch, however I still was able to get some good deals.

 

I love finding original Xbox games that I don't own, especially when they are as good as Guilty Gear X2 #Reloaded. I found this one at a used DVD store in Asheville, NC while traveling for work. Fighting games aren't always my favorite genre, but this is one of those that really caught my eye when it was new. My single largest game library is for the Xbox 360. I found one lone copy of Resident Evil Revelations 2 brand new for $9 at my local Walmart. It's been awhile since I've played a Resident Evil game, so I'm looking forward to sitting down with this one.

  

Finding non-sports Sega Master System titles in the wild is getting harder and harder, however the local G2K Games store in my area will occassionally have some new Master System games. I vaugely remember playing this game at a friends house growing up. Don't remember much else aboutthe game, but it was complete and $5 so why not?!


I love Sega so anytime I can pick up new Japanese Saturn or Dreamcast games is a good day. I grabed Nissan GT Over Drivin' R from Viink courtesy of his GameGavel store. Arcade racing titles are always fun and this is one I didn't know about until recently. Sturmwind, the much lauded shmup for the Dreamcast is one I've hard on my radar since it was released. It's high price tag has kept me away, but back in February I got an email from Play-Asia.com and I noticed the game was on sale for $24.99 I believe. Needless to say I jumped on that opportunity. 


This odd Super Famicom game came from GameGavel as well. It's called Same Game and is a puzzle game developed by Hudson Soft. In the game you try to match up lines of the same Hudson characters. It's shaped like the Super Game Boy because you could insert special, smaller cartridges to change up the characters in the game. I have the cartridge with Bomberman and Bonk,


I've been eying these little Nintendo characters in the check out lanes at Walmart, but never have I purchased one...until I saw that a Metroid was included in one of the latest assortments. I checked the display on each check out lane until I found one. Look for a post on this little figure soon.


With the Switch now being on the market, some retailers are starting to clear out their Wii U software. I grabbed this Captain Toad w/ the Toad Amiibo for $20 from Walmart's website. Surprisingly the game's outer box game in great shape, something that isn't given these days.


...and finally my new Nintendo Switch, Pro Controller and the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I have been playing the Switch pretty much any time I've had a chance for the last month. I only have Zelda and Blaster Master Zero, but that's OK as I've been more than happy with the time I've been putting in Breath of the Wild. In fact, I finally beat the game earlier this week, but I wasn't satisfied with the ending I got so I reloaded my autosave before I fought Ganon and left the castle. I still have Shrines to find and side quests to complete before I'm ready to fight Ganon again and move on to another game. The Pro Controller, while a little expensive, has been well worth it. It's a very comfortable controller and feels very good in my hands. I love the 360 controller and this controller reminds me of Microsoft's controller.

2 comments:

  1. My students have been talking about the Nintendo Switch. Sadly I'm way behind the times. I just picked up my Nintendo Classic this past week at Toys R Us. Can't wait to set it up and play. I'd love to see Sega do the same thing with the Master System, so I can play some Ghost Busters too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Ghostbusters for the NES...it was pretty crappy. Love those old Master System boxes though!

    ReplyDelete