Thursday, April 9, 2020

Gaming Relics

If you're into collecting retro video games (and I assume you would be if you've visiting this blog) then you've probably heard of Custom Game Cases. In fact, I've done a post on them and showed off their work. While this is a good company, the lead times in getting orders filled can take months. I've been looking for an alternative and I've finally found one...Gaming Relics.


Gaming Relics use the same awesome type of hard plastic clam shell like cases that Custom Game Cases uses, but they'll get your order to you in a matter of days after your order has been placed. I recently placed an order last Tuesday and the order arrived Saturday. I'm located in SC and they are located across the country in CA. Best of all, their prints are beautiful and make your loose carts look so much better on your shelves.

My recent order just consisted of 3 cases, 1 NES and 2 Super Famicom (SFC). I'm slowly working on having cases made for all of my loose NES and SNES games. I can't find many custom SFC covers so when I noticed that Gaming Relics had cases for Chou Makaimura (Super Ghosts 'n Goblins) and Super Mario: Yossy Island (Super Mario World 2) I wanted to check them out first hand.





I'm very happy with the outcome and I've already placed them on my shelves. From what I can tell these are more or less feature the game's retail artwork that just wraps around the case...which I'm OK with. These were priced a dollar less than their SNES cases at just $4.99.



I only have a handful of NES games left to get cases made for. I'm going alphabetical order to get these done so the next up was Bible Adventures. 

If you aren't familiar with these case, they are about the same size as an original NES or SNES cardboard box. The plastic is a smokey dark gray and very sturdy. The cases snap shut and features a firm grasp. The inside of the case has two clips (left side) to hold the instruction manual in place. The other side (right) has a place designed for the different type cart and has 4 clips that hold the cart in place. The outside of the box has a clear film that allows you to insert you own artwork or the artwork that places like Gaming Relics offer.

I mentioned I just placed an order for 3 cases because that is their optimum number of cases you can order and they can still ship via USPS 1st class for around $5. This is my second order with Gaming Relics and I couldn't be happier. I will be placing additional orders in the near future as my OCD just can't come to grips with a shelve full of loose game cartridges!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. I have a ton of games without the original cases... but I doubt I'll ever go back and buy custom cases for them. My baseball cards already take up too much space. It's good to know that they're available though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only loose carts I'm not going to tackle the undertaking of getting cases made for are Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. My shelves are already pretty full and I don't have room...but I'd like to one day.

      Delete
  2. Those cases look sharp. I don't have a need for any more, but had I known about this site back in the day I would have considered it. Several years ago I bought bit boxes from Stone Age Gamer for my NES games, as universal game cases don't fit them. I actually have been downsizing, and so I have extra cases now.

    ReplyDelete