Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Retro Store Visit: McKay's - Greensboro, NC

McKay's, formally known as Edward McKay; this second hand store pretty much sells everything a media junkie would be interested in. From books, music (cassettes, CDs and vinyl) to movies (VHS, DVD, Bluray) to of course video games. That's why you're here, correct?

While I visit Greensboro, NC a few times a year for work I've never taken the time to visit this location in the past. A month or so ago I found myself grabbing a bite to eat across the street at Kickback Jack's and had time to browse the store before they closed. Let's take a look at their video game corner shall we?


Immediately after walking into the store, there are glass cases on both sides of the door. This is the case to the right of the door. Here you have a selection of consoles for sale, mostly 6th and 7th generation stuff. Some of the more pricey or sought after games were in this case too. I only briefly glanced in the case, deciding to head down to the next level of the store. There was another section that had some really common and inexpensive retro games on the wall near the entrance. I didn't take a picture because the selection was really sparse on my visit. Mainly loose Game Boy, NES, SNES and Genesis carts.

There is a ramp that takes you down to the lower portion of the store and you are greeted by a sea of bookshelves. This is where I'm sure most people spend the majority of their time browsing and shopping. There is so much stuff to look at you have to give yourself a good hour to make it through everything. I noticed the games were all situated in one corner of the room so I made my way back there.



The far wall was lined with so many original Xbox and Playstation 2 games. They had a lot of duplicate titles, especially of sports titles, but I was amazed by the sheer volume of games. I believe this was their "mark down" section as a lot of these games were really cheap too, we're talking $5 or less. I grabbed Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball for $4.



On the opposite side of the marked down area was a section of shelves that housed their Playstation 1 games as well as Nintendo DS, 3DS and Sony PSP games. There were a few straggler Dreamcast games above the Playstation games.


There regular OG Xbox section was about 4 shelves full and had some good titles to choose from. Most were below eBay pricing, which was refreshing to see. I grabbed a copy of Dragon's Lair 3D for maybe $6? Their selection of GameCube games wasn't as large and sadly I didn't see anything that I wanted.


Up until recently I really haven't paid much attention to the Wii, however that is starting to change a bit. As you can see they had a good selection of Wii games, but again nothing that I wanted.



Lots of Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 games to choose from. I've got a decent sized 360 library already so there isn't much I'm looking for that I don't have already. I was hoping to find something for the PS3 that interested me, but I was starting to run low on time and I still had more to look at.


The more current stuff was grouped together into one section. I've haven't owned a PS4 for long so I'm still trying to figure out what I need to keep an eye out for. I was really hoping to find something cool for the Wii U. Despite it being a commerical failure for Nintendo, I have to say it's one of my favorite gaming systems. I'm always looking to expand my Wii U library, but the offerings here were slim pickings.


I didn't walk away completely empty handed as I bought two OG Xbox games as well as a vinyl album. I quickly flipped through their records before leaving and found Stryper's In God We Trust and I simply couldn't leave it behind! Now that I know where McKay's is located in Greensboro I will most definately have to pay them another visit next time I'm in the area. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a video game store as impressive as this one. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they had more pre-PS2 stuff, but at least what they had they had a lot of!

      Delete